I’ve had some great responses to my new video series, 5-Minute Art History, so I have filmed some more episodes! Today, I cover the art of Ancient Sumer which is one of the first ever civilizations and responsible for a lot of our history’s firsts.
Watch the video, and then download the printable handout covering the conventions of Sumerian art at the bottom of this page.
Sumer Art Conventions
~4500 – 1750 B.C.E.
- First civilization
- Sumerians had many inventions include wheel, writing, and more
- First written language = cuneiform
- Theocracy, ruler was God and leader was God’s representative on earth
- Hierarchical scale
- Stylized and geometric forms
- Manipulated and exaggerated proportions and features
- Ziggurat = stepped temple
- Creates a connection between heaven and earth
- Winding pattern of steps slows you down and prepares you for god
- Reflects important role of religion in people’s lives
- Tell Asmar Hoard
- The Standard of Ur
- The Ziggurat of Ur
You can also buy my Sumer Art Lesson with worksheets and assessments. Get more information by clicking here or the below image.
If you like this post, you may also like: